CAR WONT STAY RUNNING

1987 Honda Prelude

1987 Honda Prelude 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual lots miles

my friend just bought this prelude with dual carbs 2 days ago. Without asking anyone he dumped half of a bottle of white bottled STp brand carb and injector cleaner in the gas tank with half a tank offuel.
Car will fire up and rev up if you flor it from start butthen it dies right away. Definitly sounds like a fuel problem.
I took off the secondary fuel filter and it wasnt clogged but the fuel tht pumps thro the lines isnt clear its more like old applejuice thts been sitting in a cup. Still smells like octane but its got tht weird STp oily smell. Is the honda tht finicky tht is wont run on tht fuel or did he wreck the carbs or sumthing. I need help its gotta run. Thank you
Samus_69

After taking the main lead off the coil to the distributor it watching the sparks arc ( had a ball in the dark ) I checked the spark plugs to make sure they were good. I need some good news here. Ive been told tht unless youve worked for Honda for 14 years you shouldnt be taking apart dual carbs for " cleaning " I still dont know for sure what all else to check. Could anyone give me a list of stuff.

Samus_69
That is absolutley correct, unless you have alot of experience with those, dont start taking stuff apart. You can try spraying around the carb boots with carb cleaner to see if the engine responds, if so you have a vacuum leak, which will do what you describe. If no response, you may want to call around adn find someone with knowledge/experience with those carbs.

Jack42
The car has good gas, the gas it getting through the secondary filter. My question is what should I do to this car. The Honda dealership says it could be a oxygen sensor or an ignition fuse? LORDCO told my friend it could be the starter. Its not my car and im decently mechanically inclined ive tryed everything even hooked a OUTBOARd gas tank with fresh fuel to the inlet on the carb and tryed my own manual like 10 -15 psi of pressure with the squeezebulb. What is wrong with the honda. She turns over strong has an amazing bright blue spark, fires up if you hold the ignition on while shes firing. It will rev up to about 4krpm when you hold the gas peddle down and then it dies. Car wont idle or stay running at all. What should I do

Samus_69
So You have verified gas going into the carbs, but it runs out of gas? Could be stuck needle and seat, If I remember correctly it will die if only one carb is getting fuel (Wont run on 2 cylinders). Im pretty sure those have mixture solenoids on them too, which alots the amount of fuel. If the spark is good, fuel delivery has been eliminated, then the carbs are the issue. Try looking through the grating over the carbs and see if the chokes are open or slammed shut

Jack42
I havnt gone and checked the chokes if there slammed shut but how would I go about seeing if the inlet needle in the carb is stuck. Where do I start diagnosing from here. Can I tear these carbs half apart while there still in the car. Im being told so many different things from a bunch of " mechanics" What do I do im not a honda mechanic I hate carburators

Samus_69
But its cold now and I dont know what else to check. Mechanics have been telling my friend to check sensors because the car starts up and wont run.

Samus_69
I now have checked everything tht I possibly can with my knowledge of mechanics . Fuel, spark, compression, vacumn. I brought the car to a shop and there looking at it tommorow morning. Holy shit I couldnt find what I needed online for this car unlike anyother Vehicle tht ive ever worked on ccan anyone give me aidea on how to clean the carbs. Will I have to sync them again.

Samus_69
You will have to sync them if you chnage nay adjustments like A/F or cable removal or idle on either one. These cars are a PIA thats for sure. That is why I suggested finding a carb shop to do the work. If you remocve the air cleaner, then the metal grates, you should be able to see in the carbs.I have heard of the slides sticking in certain models, but cant recall which ones (Sorry, not much help there), but if you get to where you can see in them, work the throttle and see if anything is sticking. As far as the needles, you would have to take them apart to do that, not suggested. If im not mistaken there should be a solenoid on each one with a power/ground wire, see if they are powered up, those go to the mixture solenoids. You sure picked a tough one for your first adventure into Honda. Lol

Jack42