DIAGNOSE STARTER FOR A ACORD 4/CYL

1999 Honda Other

I'm preety sure my starter has gone out but am not 100% sure.I heard a rumor that If I take screwdriver and place in a piticular spot the starter, the car either
turns over or not turn at all meaning the starter is bad. Please help with this problem before I start loosing money by not traveling.

Thanks!
Michaels1law

Ensure that the battery is good and fully charged. Then using a volt-ohm meter check the voltage at the starter. Got 12 volts? Are the connections secure? Is there any sound from the starter? If the thing is dead does a rap on the side produce any results? Has it given you any indication that it was going?

They aren't that hard to replace and I would suggest a remanufacturered replacement from a good source.

Bruce Hunt
You can take a remote starter( basically a wire with an allagator clip on each end and a pushbutton to activate the starter( a poor mans alternative is a long peice of heavy gage wire with allagator clips attached to the end, if you use this method connect to the s terminal on the starter first then monentarily touch the other end to the positive terminal on the battery) DO NOT KEEP IT ON THE POSITIVE TERM FOR MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS ALL YOU ARE DOING IS SEEING IF THE STARTER WILL TURN OVER! Connect one clip to the positive term of the battery and the other to the s terminal on the starter. When you depress the push button the starter should turn over. If it doesn't the starter is most likely bad. You can pull the starter and have it bench tested at most every auto parts store.

Garfield
You didn't explain why you think the starter is going bad. Let me guess. When you turn the ignition key to start all you hear is a series of clicking noise. Or the starter sounds as if it is straining trying to turn the motor. And if you hold the key in the start position long enough the engine finally turns over. These are signs the starter needs replacing. Check for good voltage/good battery/connections etc. Remember your starter is eight years old now.

Captain hank