AUTO TRANMISSION CHANGE FROM D4 TO D3

Honda Other

Hi,

What happen to the auto transmission if I change from D4 to D3 when the car is moving? Some people told me it is ok but others told me this will damage the transmission immediately. Anyone has any idea?

Thanks,
CFY30+
Cfy30

That depends on the speed you are traveling at. For instance, if you are not in overdrive yet going to D3 should not be a big deal. Higher speed to D3 will put a lot of torque on the tranny and really raise the rpm of the engine. Not good, especially if the car is doing a high speed.

Bruce Hunt
Hi Bruce,

I have a 1997 Honda Civic. In order to slow down very quick on freeway, let say, 80miles/hr, not only use brake, I used to switch the gear from D4 to D3. Started from last month, I notice that there is a short delay when switch from P to D4 and a " click" sound from somewhere around the engine. I took my car to a transmission shop and they told me there is delay in forward transmission and the transmission needs to be rebuild which costs around $2k! I suspect because I switch from D4 to D3 quite often and this damage my transmisson.

Thanks,
CFY30+

Cfy30