ACCCORD EX 184,000 MILES

1998 Honda Other

When you put car in reverse and back up it will make a popping noise. Does it most of the time but not every time. Have had new motor mounts put on. Help no mechanic I have talked to knows a thing.
Jl072677

How about more info on location of sound and what is the tranny, manual or automatic?

Bruce Hunt
[quote=" Bruce Hunt" ]How about more info on location of sound and what is the tranny, manual or automatic?[/Quote]

sound comes from under the front of car in the middle near where gear shift is. Automatic transmission

Jl072677
OK, how about this as a thought. My theory is much like the old man theory. When he gets up in the morning he is 6' tall but come bedtime he is only 5' 113/4" tall. He has shrunk 1/4". Going forward all the time the car suspension is settled back from the push of the road. Moving backwards, with a suspension member worn or loose causes the noise as the worn part suddenly or fairly suddenly begins to move. Just a theory, I look to the suspension. Now would this happen pretty often? How about lifting both front wheels off the ground and shifting back and forth from drive to reverse. Does the popping still happen?

Bruce Hunt