ENGINE RUNS ROUGH

1999 Honda Odyssey

1999 Honda Odyssey 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120300 miles

I just bought a 99 Honda Odyssey and the Engine light came on after I bought it. I took it into the dealer and they said it was the EGR valve needing to get replaced. I did not get this done immediately and a few weeks later the engine started to run rough. I then got the EGR valve replaced and the problem did not get fixed. The TCS light also comes on after I start driving.

I did go through the forum and it seems that this problem is not only my vehicle. It has occured with 1998-2000 Odyssey's in a similar way. I do not have much money after getting the EGR valve replaced so I want to see how much I can troubleshoot it myself. I can get a diagnostic done tomorrow and was going to go through the " Why does my engine run rough?&Quot; question on this site. Do you have any advice on what this problem might be? One guy in the forum said he just repleced the transmission fluid to fix the problem.
JasonRuby

Brought it to a mechanic today to test the engine light. This brought up the cylinder 3 misfire code. The spark plugs were replaced last July, could they still have a possible defect?

How long would it be safe to drive this vehicle without it causing serious problems?

JasonRuby
Why does my engine run rough?&Quot; Misfire at no.3 cylinder -check the sparkplug, compression and injector for no. 3 try running an injection cleaner thru it and see what happens

Found out the problem was all cylinders were misfiring except cylinder 2. Come to find out that cylinder 2 coil was cracked. Had that coil replaced and now it runs smooth.

Engine light came back on and apparently the valve connected to the EGR needs to be cleaned. Any easy way to do this without having to pay a mechanic for labor time?

JasonRuby
You can use a carb cleaner and small bore brushes and clean out the passages thoroughly.

How easy is it too access the passages on a 99 Odyssey?

JasonRuby
The CEL coming back On does it pertain to the EGR valve?

Never done one on an Odyssey-

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_egr_valve_2.jpg

Not sure the exact code but it is mentioning the ERG valve and insufficient flow. The ERG valve was just replaced and my mechanic friend said that the valve passage connected to the ERG needs to get cleaned. About 1 - 2 hours work.

JasonRuby
Hi JasonRuby,

Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future.

2CarPros Linsey