ABS SYSTEM MALFUNCTION & ABS DASH LIGHT

2001 Honda CRV

Brakes problem
2001 Honda CRV 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

3+ years ago the wrong size snow chains were put on my CRV's tires & eventually snapped off at some point during the weekend. Since that time the ABS light has been on 80% of the time. I've had the ABS sensors replaced, the brakes checked numerous times. For the last 3 years since the tire snow chain incident, my brakes have increasingly done a random strange stuttering followed by what sounds like a spring making a 'boing' sound. The brake pedal gets a bit mushy & stutters/skips, springs back at you & for a few seconds feels like it's not braking. This happens on hills, on flat roads, when the car is cold & when the car is hot. The light is sometimes off but eventually comes back on for no apparent reason.
After seeing 4 different mechanics regarding the problem (including a dealership) & spending a lot of money I am not sure if this problem can ever be fixed.

Any help or advice?
Suzilu

Hi suzilu,

Thank you for the donation.

What was the Diagnostic Trouble Code that was retrieved from the ABS light showing?

" For the last 3 years since the tire snow chain incident, my brakes have increasingly done a random strange stuttering followed by what sounds like a spring making a 'boing' sound. The brake pedal gets a bit mushy & stutters/skips, springs back at you & for a few seconds feels like it's not braking. This happens on hills, on flat roads, when the car is cold & when the car is hot. &Quot; When the above happens, is the ABS light showing or not or both?

The ABS diagnostic trouble codes were: 11, rt. Front wheel speed sensor circuit problem & 12, rt. Front wheel pulser teeths problem. Both speed sensor, wirings & front wheel teeths were checks & no problems found on the teeths or wirings. The mechanic adjusted the rt. Front wheel speed sensor towards center.

Within minutes of driving away from the mechanic the ABS light went on & the car continued to do its initial thing.

The dashboard ABS light goes on when the brakes are malfunctioning & when they aren't.

Suzilu
Hi suzilu,

Based on your symptoms descriptions,

" For the last 3 years since the tire snow chain incident, my brakes have increasingly done a random strange stuttering followed by what sounds like a spring making a 'boing' sound. The brake pedal gets a bit mushy & stutters/skips, springs back at you & for a few seconds feels like it's not braking.&Quot; It indicates an intermittent interruption of the wheel sensing circuit. The sensor seems to freeze the signal resulting in the ABS control unit being made to believe that the wheel is locked when brake pedal is depressed. That would cause the kick back of the pedal and stuttering as the control unit releases line pressure to the wheel and cause the brake to lose its effectiveness.

Prossibl causes are : 1. Sensing circuit fault, could be a internal broken wire that is intermittently causing the circuit to provide a broken circuit reading. Since sensor had been replaced, this can be eliminated. However while testing wiring continuity from sensor to control unit, the wire harness should be tugged lightly to search for internally broken wires.

2. Axle shaft pulser defective. On vehicle visual inspection might not be accurate and it would be advisable to remove and recheck for roundness of the ring. The snapped chain could have caused some damage to the ring or it could be a damaged knuckle or bearing causing the pulser to turn eccentrically.
This would result in uneven pulsing signal.

3. Faulty ABS control. When the sensor was damaged, it could have shorted the control unit circuit. This would require the control unit, which is incorporated into the master pump, to be repaced.