REAR BRAKE DRUM ADJUSTMENT

2000 Honda CRV

Brakes problem
2000 Honda CRV 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 107000 miles

Hello, after placing new drums and shoes on this 2000 Honda CRV LX what is the proper method for setting the correct adjustment so that it won't be to tight or too loose. The first thing I noticed is that the rubber boot on the back plate to spin the star for adjustment isn't compatible for using a regular flathead screwdriver because I tried seeing if it would help me setup so that I could get a slight drag but it needs to be a speacial bent tool the reach it.
DG4GA

Hi,
The 1st thing you can try, providing the adjusters " Free". Find a large area where you can back up safely. With one foot on gas pedal, one on brake & approx. 5 - 10 m.P.H, apply brakes several times & the auto-adjusters should bring rear brakes up to proper adj. The other way is to remove the drums & turn adj. Wheel while putting drum on & off to check untill you feel a slight drag. {Very Slight} I do not beleive there is a tool to go through backing plate. I worked on Hondas for 16 years, I never heard of one & I never could find or make anything for going through backing plate. I take it adjusters are freed-up when you replaced brakes or you would have had trouble putting drums on. Good Luck !

Ted-e-dee