STALLING

1999 Honda CRV

1999 Honda CRV 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 126000 miles

I have a 99 CR-V EX with 5 speed trans. Having a stalling problem ever since the 100,000 mile service was completed over a year ago. It stalls sometimes when you press the clutch in and are coming to a stop. The RPMs just drop down too far and it stalls. Starts right back up. Usually occurs after the " choke" raised idle speed turns off. Once run for a while it doesn't occur anymore until it gets cold again. Dealer cannot " witness" the stalling even after I have left it there for days, and sure enough the next day it is still doing it. Seems like just need to increase the idle speed longer, but the computer can't figure it out. Any suggestions? Thank You.
Skk2424

IACV (idle air control valves) are very common on these vehicles. I'd look into this valve to make sure that it's functioning properly when coming to a stop or when the throttle is closed.

Also, a vacuum leak can also cause this. What does your vehicle idle at when it's at operating temperature?

F4I_guy
Once it is at temperature, the vehicle idles around 600RPM I would say. Typically when you push in the clutch and are stopping (other foot on the brake) it drops to that level, but when it is acting up, you push in the clutch and have the other foot on the brake and it drops to 0 and just stalls. It is dangerous when this happens in the middle of an intersection or turning a corner. The Honda dealer replaced the IACV and an oxygen sensor (p/n 36531), but still having the same problem. They are just replacing parts not knowing what the real problem is. They have reset the computer and " relearned" the idle, and it might not happen for a few days, but then it starts stalling again.

Skk2424
The fact that the vehicle idles at 600rpm is worrying me. That is not right.

It is possible when they relearned the idle they did not do it properly. You vehicle is suppose to idle around 800rpm at operating temperature. To raise the idle up you must unplug the IACV motor and turn the idle screw up until you have hit 400-450rpm, then relearn the idle once again.

It is possible that the mechanic did not do this process properly and your vehicle is idling way too low.

F4I_guy