WHINING NOISE COMING FROM LX.

1997 Honda Civic

I have been driving my 1997 Honda Civic LX for over two years, and this past year the winter has been horrible. Now, every time I start my car (when it is cold) I hear a whining sound. It used to just be when my car was started, but now, the noise has gotten louder and occurs more often. While driving, the whining gets more high pitched the higher the RPM's go up. The sound starts as soon as the gears are shifted.&Quot; winds up" and stops, just to start again right before the car shifts again. It is an automatic transmission, and I have no idea why it is making this noise. Please help. It sounds like my car is screaming, and it sounds like it's in pain. If you get my drift. What should I look for/what can I do?
Cchristm

I am suspecting the belts. Look at the serpentine belts on the car for tightness and wear.

Bruce Hunt
Well, turns out its a combination of two problems. I took it to my friend's shop, and we replaced the powered steering pump, one of the bearings went bad. Now, the high pitched whine is gone, but the " winding up" whine still exists. Still think it's the serpentine belt, or perhaps the timing belt? Also, what else could it be, maybe a bad solaniod or vaccum problem?

Cchristm
I think you were correct in that there were two issues and you have corrected one. The belt would have been looked at by your friend and I would not really suspect that. You seem to have pointed to the tranny for the second problem. What is the transmission fluid level and what is the color of the fluid?

Bruce Hunt
Well, the fluiid level is good, and the color is a darkish red, but I can still see through it. The car, as of right now, didn't make the noise. It seems to only make it when it is cold.

Cchristm
Do yourself a favor and have the tranny flushed, replace the filter, and fluid. Use recommended fluid.

Bruce Hunt