96

1996 Honda Civic

Hello. My Honda Civic will not shift into gear with the car cranked, and with the car in gear (off) when I try to crank it, it moves forward, even with the gearshift in neutral. The clutch pedal feels too easy to push, and I can hear a noise under the hood every time I press it. I am trying to figure out if this is a cylinder problem or more. Looking at the engine/tranny/slave cylinder, I can push the rod that goes into the transmission housing to the right, I have no other help, so I am not sure if it moves when I press the clutch. Is there any way that I can troubleshoot the cylinders before replacing the clutch?
Btwoodward

If it is the slave on the clutch you will have a leak in the fluid of the clutch. If it is the master, the fluid could be coming back inside the car, but is there a drop in your fluid in the resevoir? Also, have you lost clutch pedal to the floor? I could also be a clutch or throwout bearing.

Bruce Hunt
Thanks for the reply. I took apart the clutch, and the throwout bearing had pretty much come apart and melted, and the clutch plate was broken in two. Thanks again for the reply!

Btwoodward