WATER DAMAGE

2004 Honda Civic

Interior problem
2004 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 62000 miles

There is a 25mm rubber body plug located on the bottom side of the steel chassis frame member just behind each front tire. On the right side we recently discovered that the plug was missing when we tried to troubleshoot why the passenger floor was (very) wet. When driving in the rain, it appears as though water can accumulate inside the member during a rainstorm and eventually leak into the interior. We also see that the water damage extends all the way back to the trunk and is comming up from underneath. Does my diagnosis make sense, and if so how can I dry it out? Where can I go on the internet to determine whether or not my model car has a documented history of problems with water leaking into the interior?
Robertrobert

There are two Tech Bullitens on your year, they are as follows:
Page 1 of 3 WATER LEAKS INTO THE TRUNK FROM A BODY SEAM -2004 Honda Civic
WATER LEAKS INTO THE TRUNK FROM A BODY SEAM
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 03-067,  Date of Issue:   February 18, 2005
HONDA:2001-2005 Civic CATEGORY:Body APPLIES TO: 2001-04 Civic 2-Door and 4-Door - ALL; 2005 Civic 2-Door - From VIN 1HGEM2...5L000001 thru 1HGEM2...5L030136; 2005 Civic 4-Door - ALL
Superceded Bulletin(s): 03-067,  Date of Issue:   September 23, 2003 Related Ref Number(s): 03-067
ARTICLE BEGINNING
SYMPTOM
NOTE: Supersedes 03-067, dated September 23, 2003
Water in the trunk.
PROBABLE CAUSE
Lack of sealer at various seams.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Apply 3M Ultra Pro Seam Sealer to the affected seam(s).
PARTS INFORMATION
3M Ultra Pro Seam Sealer: 3M P/N 051135-08302
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty : The normal warranty applies.
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION OP# Description FRT 857012 Remove the trunk side trim panel and trunk floor, then leak test A Repair procedure A 0.2 B Repair procedure B 0.2 C Repair procedure C 0.4 D Leak test to check the repair 0.2 0.6

10/31/2008
Page 2 of 3 WATER LEAKS INTO THE TRUNK FROM A BODY SEAM -2004 Honda Civic
Failed Part: P/N 68500-S5P-305ZZ H/C 7265317
Defect Code: 07407
Symptom Code: 05908
Skill Level: Repair Technician
Out of warranty : Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
DIAGNOSIS
Remove the trunk floor, and pull back on the trunk side trim panels to expose the trunk seams. Raise the rear of the vehicle, and place jack stands in the proper locations. Remove the rear tires, then spray water into the left and right sides of the wheelwell area to verify where the water is coming through.
 If you don't see the water leak at the seam(s), look for other points of water entry.
 If water is coming through the seam between the trunk floor and the wheelhouse, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE A .
 If water is coming through the seam between the wheelhouse and the side panel, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE B .
 If water is coming through the seam at the shock tower, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE C .
REPAIR PROCEDURE A
1.Clean and dry the affected area at the seam between the rear floor and the wheelhouse. Apply 3M seam sealer to the affected areas shown.
NOTE: The leak may occur on the left and/or right side of the vehicle.
Driver's side shown
Fig. 1: Applying 3M Seam Sealer (Repair Procedure A) - Driver's Side Shown
2.Allow 15 to 20 minutes for the seam sealer to cure. 3.Retest with water to verify that the leak has been repaired. 4.Reinstall the rear wheels, the trunk floor, and the trunk side trim panels.
REPAIR PROCEDURE B
1.Clean and dry the affected area at the wheelhouse and outer panel area. Apply 3M seam sealer to the area shown.

10/31/2008
Page 3 of 3 WATER LEAKS INTO THE TRUNK FROM A BODY SEAM -2004 Honda Civic
Driver's side shown
Fig. 2: Applying 3M Seam Sealer (Repair Procedure B)
REPAIR PROCEDURE C
1.Clean and dry the affected area around the shock tower and around the seam in the wheelwell area. Apply 3M seam sealer to the areas shown.
Driver's side shown
Fig. 3: Applying 3M Seam Sealer Near Shock Tower (Repair Procedure C)
Fig. 4: Identifying Applying 3M Seam Sealer Area To Wheelwell Area

10/31/2008
Page 1 of 1 WATER LEAKS FROM THE DOOR? CHECK THE RAIN PROTECTOR -2004 Honda...
WATER LEAKS FROM THE DOOR? CHECK THE RAIN PROTECTOR
HONDA SERVICE NEWS
Reference Number(s): HSN0304-12,  Date of Issue:   March 1, 2004 HONDA: 1994-2004 Accord, 1996-2004 Civic, 1997-2004 CR-V, 2003-04 Element, 1999-2004 Odyssey, and 2003-04 Pilots CATEGORY:Honda Service News APPLIES TO: 1994-2004 Accord, 1996-2004 Civic, 1997-2004 CR-V, 2003-04 Element, 1999-2004 Odyssey, and 2003-04 Pilots
Related Ref Number(s): HSN0304-12
ARTICLE BEGINNING
SERVICE INFORMATION
The plastic cover (rain protector) inside each door is there to keep water from getting into the passenger's compartment. If you have a vehicle with a water leak from the door, remove the door panel, and look for a tear in the rain protector or for a break in its adhesive. If the protector is torn, then replace it. If there's a break in the adhesive, then reseal the cover with Door Panel Adhesive (P/N 08712-0003, H/C 4162186).

10/31/2008

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_civic_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_civicb_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_civicc_1.jpg

Merlin2021
Merlin2021: Thanks for your answer, but I am still at a loss about the water on my front passenger floor, and that was my primary concern. How could the water have gotten there in the first place, I am asking?

I had the cabin air filter replaced on the assumption that the AC box might be leaking through its seams if leaf litter was clogging the drain. But I doubt that this would be the problem at this time of year.

The Honda dealer who noticed that the body plug was missing on the right side has put a temporary plug into the 25mm hole, and I have been using newspaper to absorb the water in the soaked carpeting.

If water could come off my right front tire during a heavy rain while I am driving, it could conceivably pass right into the frame member. But how would it get from there into the front floor carpeting. Isn't the body sealed?

Can I have an opinion on this?

Robertrobert
It's been my experience on all makes that it's either sealant around windshield glass, or the air intake for the a/c and ventilation system, but I found those two TSB's and water can wick up thru the rug, is the back even damp?

Merlin2021
Merlin2021: Thanks again. Yes, the floor behind the passenger seat is damp, but far less moist than the front. What would this mean? When you say that water might wick up into the carpeting, where would it be wicking from?

By the way, the wet area on the front passenger floor is totally underneath the front floor mat, and it is wettest right next to the door frame. The carpeting forward where your feet rest is dry as a bone.

Robertrobert
It may be comming from the spots in the photos, ot the " B" pillar, thats the post between the front and rear doors. Remove the trim panels and if you have to, have a helper run a hose on it while you look inside for water infiltration.

Merlin2021
I have the same problem with my 2004 Honda Civic. Just wondering if you found a solution and fixed the problem.

Ratherboutside
This Tech bulliten is meant for the Honda mechanics, it is so they dont spend hours looking for the source of leaks, These are known by Honda motor corp to be points of water infiltration, and once sealed, should solve your problems.

Merlin2021