SHIFTING PROBLEMS

2004 Honda Civic

2004 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

Had problems getting gear shift into reverse on numerous occasions. I manhandled it into reverse and now it feals as though there is something restricting the shifter from the point of travel towards 5 and reverse. I am able to get it into both 5th and reverse but the travel of the shifter and the ammount of engagement seams to have lessened and now it seams that there is something in the way.

I am wondering if by forcing the shifter into reverse I added to the problem, and is there any adjustment to the linkage to adjust the travel or is there anything I can check out by removing the center console and.

I feel it is linkage problem but have never worked on a manual transmission in a front wheel drive honda car.

HELP? THANKS in advance !
Hooked_up

Hi,
My name is Ted, I have worked on Honda's for 16 years. The 1st thing I would like you to do is raise the car & look for a leak around the trans. Look around the end of trans, see if there is a leak at the end cover gasket, if not there, check axle seals where axles go into trans. 5th gear is in the end cover, & I think reverse is also. It's been awhile since I had one apart. Anyway, the 1st thing you will have problems with when low on oil is 5th & reverse because they are higher up than the other gears. The plug is on the right side of trans. &Amp; is a size 17 or 19 mm. Remove plug, car needs to be level so if you jack the frt., Jack the rear to same height. W/plug out, stick finger in hole, you should get oil on finger just inside hole. It may even drip out when plug removed. If all of this is o.K. &Amp; oil full, no leaks, IT IS O.K. TO DRIVE. So then I would like you to ck. Shifter bushings & shift linkage. If the shifter feels " looser" than it use to, or " sloppy" so to speak, this may be your problem. I have been out of mechanics for a couple years & can't remember exactly how the bushings are, I know there used to be a set at the bottom of shifter then the double cable is on the top of trans. The best thing I can tell you for this is to go online to " Mitchell1. Com" & rent Service Manual for your car. It will give you all the details you need to ck. For adjustments or how to replace the bushings. It's only $15.00 after tax. I use all the time because it also gives you all Technicall Service Bullitens & Recalls for you car. Even if you have to get repairs done at a repair shop, you will have all the info you need & this will help you from getting ripped off ! Let us know how you make out. If you have more questions, e-mail me at,
theoxski@rocketmail. Com or feel free to call me at,
1-607-423-0271 - Verizon Wireless. Good Luck.
Please leave a message if I do not answer & I will call you back.

Ted-e-dee