SQUEAKS COMING FROM RIGHT FRONT STRUT

2002 Honda Civic

Suspension problem
2002 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

Hello, I had replace my right front strut twice and I am getting a squeak coming from my strut. I can have someone push up and down on my front bumper and duplicate the squeak. While pushing on the bumper I can reach in over the tire and grab the rubber boot that cover the shaft and squezze it lightly and the squeaks stops. I have try using silicone on the rubeer boot with no help. But when I push the boot all the way up, pass the top where cycliner is exposed ( and it stays up there), then when I drive it there is no squeak. So I guess my question is can I trim some of the boot away fom the strut so it does not rub and the strut, and will is damage the strut because water might get up in there. Thanks
Mhayden

You should of replaced the dust boot while you had a strut apart.

Your problem is properly the metal support around the base of the boot. I would put some lubricate around the base just to see if that stops the squeek.

If you get the dust boot, debris and dirt will get on the shock and cause pre-mature failure.

F4I_guy