CHANGE TRANSMISSION FLUID

2002 Honda Civic

2002 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 118000 miles

I got a honda civic 02 with 118,000 miles in it. I'm the one changing the engine oil every due date. I'm planning to change the transmission fluid this time and it will be my first time. Can you give the steps to do it and also parts and tools needed. My friend says it's better to manually flash it than using a machines in the shop because it will shake the transmission and some big metal debris around cause by friction of changing gears will create a big problem if it will go to the wrong place. He said I only need a Z1 honda transmission ofluid ( how many quarts?) And no need for filters or gaskets. And I have to drain and replace and drive 3 times as the standard way. My transmission fluid was never change since I bought it new, way back 2002. I would appreciate if you could assist me and give some tips on this. Thank you and more power to this awesome website.

leo
Leomer_a

Your friend is partially right. He is wrong about the transmission shaking and debris, but he is right about doing it yourself. With a shop trans fluid changer machine, they usually filled with Dexron III ATF, which is bad for your car. Doing it yourself guarantees that no wrong fluid will enter the system. He is also right about using specially-formulated ATF for Honda.

One of the things that I like about Honda is transmission service. Just raise your car, put a drain pan under the transmission pan, loosen the drain plug, wait until it stops, install drain plug, remove drain pan, lower the car, and put new fluid.

I don't have the fluid chart with me right now, but just call your friendly Honda service, they will tell you. Or call Checker O'Reilly store close to you. They have it on their computer.

Zackman