ENGINE STARTING PROBLEMS

2000 Honda Civic

2000 Honda Civic 4 cyl Automatic 65000 miles

we swapped the engine from a 2000 honda civic ex automatic into a 2000 honda civic si manual transmission body. We put the ex engine and transmission along with the main engine wiring harness and computer into the si. We got it to crank but it won't crank all the time. When the key is turned to the second position it makes a continuos clicking sound and when I try to crank the car it turns over but wont start. I did get it to crank a couple of times and I think that was when the clicking noise stopped after a few seconds then I turned the key fully and it started up. Could the clicking sound be the fuel pump.
Cinkajb

Hi cinkajb,

No, the pump would not click as it is a rotary type.

Clicking and if the starter is not cranking could be due to bad grounds or battery terminal connections.

If it is underdash, it could be the main relay.

Well, we had the starter checked out and they said it was ok. We cleaned and rewired the battery cables. We did all this first because we couldn't get anything to happen except a few sparks, clicks, etc. Now at least it will turn over and run sometimes. I believe the few times I got it to run was when I turned the key and waited a few seconds and the clicking stopped then it cranked. All the other times I turn the key the clicking wont stop I turn the key and the engine turns over but wont run. The sound by the way is in the motor area. Thanks for your reply

Cinkajb
Hi cinkajb,

You are welcomed.

If the CHECK engine light does not go off after 2 seconds when turning on the ignition, the ECM is faulty.

If the light goes off and you cannot start, it most probably will be the main relay.