AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR BELT

2000 Honda Civic

Air Conditioning problem
2000 Honda Civic Two Wheel Drive Automatic 65,050 miles

I am stuck out of town with a air conditioner pump failing and throwing out a smelly black substance. I need to make it home to my mechanic but am afraid to go a mile in fear of compressor failure that will no doubt throw the belt which would domino into other belts failing rendering the car undriveable. My question is that it appears the compressor is run by a belt that could be cut off and not affect any other important parts, alternator, power steering or water pump which all appear to have their own seperate belts. I can roll down the windows for the day and get home if this is correct. Please advise ASAP if I can cut the air conditioner belt as stated and get myself home, regards, deda.
Deda

Hello Deda,

Yes as long as it will not affect the other item you will be fine cutting the belt off.

Obxautomedic
Hey Deda before you cut the A/C Belt what submodel is it and engine size. I was looking at some diagrams and depending on submodel and engine it may not be possible.

Obxautomedic
Can you verify via manual or schematics that this belt is only for the air conditioner. I say this because its dark here and my flashlight is on my keychain, a small light. I cannot see well enough to be absolutely sure where the waterpump is and what belt runs it. There are 3 belts total and I want to be sure of the waterpump belt before I proceed. Thank you so much for your rapid reply it shows that this is a forum/site to rely on. Additionally, how do I leave feedback regards, deda.

Deda
Yes I can verify but I need the submodel and engine size of your vehicle. Is it a DX, EX etc.

Just under obxautomedic is a feed back link.

Obxautomedic
The model is 2000 Honda Civic EX with a 4 cylinder engine. I cannot find any sign of a water pump but it appears that it is covered by a large cowling cover that extends from below the crank/harmonic balancer pully that has 3 belts to the top of the engine and its belt would be within this 3" deep prox cover where one would not be able to see it. The belt on the AC appears to be just that, a belt for the AC with a tenson adjustment pulley being the only other part of said configuration. Man you are blowing me away with your quick help. I have found the feedback section so now its just a confermation on cutting the belt that I need, regards, deda.

Deda
Can you tell if this is the layout....

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_00civicbeltroute_1.jpg

Obxautomedic
Yes sir that is the belt layout, regards, deda.

Deda
Great! Then as long as the lower left pulley is your A/C and the smaller pulley is the adjuster then Cut it and Head Home.

Drive Safe.

Mark Shreaves
obxautomedic

Obxautomedic
Belt was easy to cut, hard to get to but easy to cut so I'm good to go. I am so grateful for your expert advice and quick response's that I'm going to drive awhile tonight while its cool. I'm in West Texas heading to Ft. Worth and will get up early to beat the heat and be home before it gets hot out. I am to pumped up from this quick fix to sleep anyway. I will spread the word across all of my forums of which one, a Pro Audio forum with 45,000 members about your great site with a link to said site. Your diligence was superb and I will post feedback right away. Thank you again, regards, deda.

Deda
Can you help me with the feedback/point system? I have only 0.2 points and the system will not let me give more than I've got. I've tried 0.2 and it states why give a 0 and stops my progress. I've tried.2 and again with the why leave a 0 and I can't proceed. I've tried 1, 2, 3 and it states I can't leave more points than what I've got and as stated above its only 0.2 which it will not accept. I've have positive feedback ready to post but can't find a work around on the point issue. Is there a way I can garner more points to satisfy the system so that I can get on the road? Your help is again needed, regards, deda.

Deda