WHINING NOISE IN REVVING/ACCELERATION

1998 Honda Civic

Noises problem
1998 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 135k miles

My car makes a whining noise while I either rev or accelerate, it does it at a much lower volume when idling as well. Makes it in neutral as well as in lower gears, I'm not certain that it makes it in 4th or 5th gear, as my car isn't geared to high rev in those gears, I assume it would though. I'm almost certain its not transmission related, as I just had my transmission rebuilt (bearings and all), and I had a clutch replacement about 15k miles ago. I also do not have problems with the battery charging or alternator. I have not had a serpentine belt replacement as of yet, which I'll be doing in the next few days. Could that be the issue? I've also read that it could be the idler pulley, but would that make sense even though it makes the noise at idle? Any help would be much appreciated.
Cmleblanc

Hi cmleblanc,

Thank you for the donation.

The noise that you described is most probably due to a bad idler pulley, alternator bearings, compressor or power steering pump.

You would need to isolate the noise to find out the cause. Belts would not cause whining noises.

Would any of those problems be dire to my car's ability to run and perform? Or are they problems that should be taken care of immediately?

Cmleblanc
They would not affect anything for the time being but it is best to get the problem resolved because if any if the bearings were to give way or seize, it can cause damage to other parts of the engine.