ENGINE AND CATALYTIC CONVERTER QUESTION

1998 Honda Civic

1998 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

My question is 2 parts: I've got 176K miles on my 1998 honda civic. Long story short, check engine light was on for 2 years, had 02 sensors replaced 2 yrs ago thought that was it & light was just on.
Fast forward to this summer--car died while driving. Towed it to shop. Got an 02 sensor diag code, replaced plugs/wires, distributor (Honda housing) ignition coil, control module, even oil pan gasket valve (was leaking alittle oil) and the 02 sensor. Then got catalytic converter code 420. Brother cleaned out converter AND IT IS TOTALLY EMPTY! Car ran great first 3-4 days. Now progressively getting sluggish again. But DOESNT ACT LIKE IT'S GOING TO DIE THOUGH. Said he is going to do something to the downstream 02 sensor (that wasnt replaced). Could this be problem? Also guess I need moter mounts replaced because have had a shaking going on for 6mths. Im so tired of this problem of not trusting my car. Any ideas?
HAMDAYS

Hi HAMDAYS,

If the catalytic converter internal was dug out, the P0420 would come on and replacing the rear Os sensor is not going to stop the light from coming on. You need to replace the catalytic converter bafore continuing with any other parts replacement.

The engine stalling could be due to any of those parts replaced.