HONDA CIVIC NOISE PROBLEM

1998 Honda Civic

Noises problem
1998 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 110569 miles

HI I have a Honda Civic that has been running well. Untill a couple days ago, I started it up and heard a noise coming from the side of the engine were the pulleys are. The car does have a/c. When the car is running it seems okay the enigne itself, but I am afraid of driving it, because you never know what could happen. It sounds like a scrapping noise. I have turned on the a/c button on the dashboard, which kind of lowers the sound a little bit, but then the noise gets louder. I took it in to get a oil change and they said it might be that one of the pulleys is lose. Is that a job worth doing or what should I do?
Nate21

Hi nate21,

There are a few things that could be the source but during the oil change, why wasn't any diagnosis done to confirm the problem?

1. Crankshaft pulley, if anything goes wrong with it, the damages might be costly.

2. Alternator bearings,

3. Water pump.

4. Power steering pump.

5. AC compressor or clutch bearings, idler bearing.

6. Timing belt tensioner bearing.