DELAYED ENGAGEMENT WHEN TRANSMISSION SHIFT

1997 Honda Civic

1997 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

My son's friend has a 1997 Honda Civic EX with automatic transmission. When shifting from 1-2 the transmission will not shift until relatively high RPM's (4500 +/-) or the accelerator is lifted. The other gears shift normally at lower RPM, but there is a slight pause and increase in RPM's (500 or so) as the transmission shifts. There is no Check Engine light when driving. The transmission does not appear to slip in any gear.

I have not connected a scan tool yet (will this weekend), but was wondering of common or likely causes / solutions to this problem.
Mks4evr2000

Hi mks4evr2000,

It could be a fault with the solenoids, PCM, sensors, Vehicle Speed Sensors or Throttle Position Sensor.

Let me know if any codes are found.

Thanks for the response.

The only code was P0700 which I believe is one that is set when there is a problem with the linear solenoid, among others.

Mks4evr2000
P0700 is set when any transmission fault is detected, not for the linear soleanoids. There ought to be other transmission fault codes.

If no other fault codes are detected, I would suggest checking the throtttle position senor.