SPEEDOMETER

1993 Honda Civic

1993 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 248000 miles

My speedometer does not work or my odometer or trip meter. I just replaced the VSS but that didn't fix the problem. I was wondering if you had any ideas?
Dbsnipe

Hi dbsnipe,

Did you get any check engine error code before and after installation of new VSS?

There should be a pin between the VSS and trans meter gear assy, did it drop off while you were installing?

Remove VSS and plug in wire socket, with ignition on, use pin to turn manually and get someone to see if speedo works.

If it works, then either the pin was not properly installed or the the meter gear is worn.

If it don't work, either the meter is faulty or some wires are broken.

Ok, I moved the little " stick" inside the sensor and had my girlfriend sit in the car, I turned it and she said the speedometer moved a little bit, so what do you think needs replacing?

Dbsnipe
Hi dbsnipe,

Before you do anything else, put the needle into the meter gear assy and jack up 1 wheel, turn the wheel and see if the needle is turning. If you can't jack up, go to a level ground and roll the car forward and see if the needle is turning. If it is turning, reinstall VSS and try again, you could have misaligned the VSS the first time you installed it.

If it is not turning, remove the 10mm hex bolt and twist out the meter gear assy. If the gears are worn, change it, if not, you have a problem, the ring gear at the differential housing is faulty. You have to disassemble the trans to get at it.

Hope it is nothing serious,

Good luck.

Ok, I took the sensor off and rolled the car, and the little pin is turning. So I put the sensor back on and drove it around the block, it worked fine, then I turned the car off and tested it again 30 minutes later, it worked fine. But when I just drove it, it worked fine for about 5 minutes and then the speedometer needle just dropped. What can it be?

Dbsnipe
Hi dbsnipe,

Did you replace with a new or used unit?
Check wire socket for poor connection.

Scan and see if there is any error code for the VSS.

If no error code, it could be the meter or its connection loose.

I don't have a scantool so I can't scan it. I bought the VSS new from Autozone and it's working better than the old one did, the speedometer works more often. Any other ideas?

Dbsnipe
Hi dbsnipe,

You don't need any scan tools.

Remove the glove box and at the door pillar end you would find a green rubber with two sockets pluged in.
Pull out the one with only 2 points and loop it. Turn ignition on and see how the check engine light blinks.
If it blinks one long flash followed by seven short ones, it means the VSS, its wiring or meter gear is faulty. However you need to remove the back up/radio fuse under bonnet to reset the ECM retest before confirming it is the VSS as the previous error might not have been erased.
After resetting, the check engine will be showing without any blinks if the loop is not removed.

You need to pull out the meter gear assy at trans to see if the gears are worn.

If no error code, then you need to look at the meter assy.

So do you think it would be the new VSS going bad?
Even though it's doing the same thing as with the old one? The speedometer kicks in, works for a while and then it'll come off. Some days it will not work and then kick in after I've been driving for a while.

Dbsnipe
Hi dbsnipe,

It is possible for the new one to be faulty.

I hope it isn't the VSS because Autozone doesn't refund those. Any other things I can try to 100% pinpoint the problem?

Dbsnipe
Page 1 of 2