EX WON'T START

1993 Honda Civic

1993 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 160000 miles

I have 93 Civic Ex 5sp that will not start. Heres what I have checked so far. Fuel pump runs, main relay works, brand new battery, no cracks in distibutor there was corrision on the points and I cleaned those also there are no blown fuses and I have spark. I think its getting gas because the engine is flooding and smells like fuel also plugs smell like gas and are black. I removed and cleaned them. It all most starts if I push the gas but acts like its getting enough fuel. Please help I'm at a loss.
Jdbcarguy

Hi jdbcarguy,

With sparks and fuel, the engine should start.

Is the spark blue or reddish? If the sparks are reddish, it is not strong enough to start. The coil is bad.

If too much fuel is getting into the cylinders, it would flood and not start. Check for faulty fuel regulator and injectors.

When I checked for spark it was yellow. So that probebly means that I have a bad coil. Could a weak spark be caused by any thing else. Thanks

Jdbcarguy
Hi jdbcarguy,

The coil is bad and I believe that is the only cause.

I forgot to mention something before.I had this same problem a few weeks ago and when I replaced the battery the car started right away. The previous battery that was in the car was way to small.

Jdbcarguy
Hi jdbcarguy,

When battery is weak, it would not crank or cranks at a slow speed. That can cause inability to start, but if the canking speed is fast, it is not the problem of the battery.

Had coil checked and it seems ok. So there must be another problem. Because the car had such an under powered battery for who knows how long it could have probably damaged a few things. The car also had a rough idle and a check engine light on before it stopped running.

Jdbcarguy