REMOTE KEY UNLOCK 99

1999 Honda Accord

I've got a 1999 Accord EX Coupe V6, which I love. 78,000 miles.

Only problem is, the remote keyless door unlock only works if:
It's warm outside (more than 60 degrees F)
OR: If I first use the remote to unlock the trunk.
OR: If I recently used remote door unlock (say, a quick stop to run into a store)

On some rare occasions the door unlock will work normally after a long delay (ie, doors unlock approx 30 seconds after last button push).

I've tried changing batteries on the remote, and Honda tried reprogramming the system, but each winter the problem returns.
Famwrkten

Power lock circuits usually control the action of a solenoid or motor. The movement of the center core of the solenoid controls the action of the lock levers and arms. The movement of the motor causes causes the lock mecanisme to operate.
The best way to diagnose a power lock problem is to refer to the wiring diagram for the circuit.
If none of the locks work, suspect an open to the control switch.

Mathiaso
When you don't use the remote, do the door looks function normally, quietly, and powerfully? If the answer is yes and temp etc makes no difference, I would suspect the control module for the remote. I suspect that when the car is now warm the remote works fine say after driving and warming the car. The temp then of module is elevated to the vehicle temp and warm it will work. The modulator has a couple of relays built in and they will sometimes get weak.

If what I have fits what you are experiencing, I offer three options, one replace the module with a new on from Honda, do nothing and it will get worse, or purchase and either install yourself or have installed a remote car starter w/remote lock. I have installed in my vehicle and get better range from the remote with a third party remote start kit and the cost was just under $100 with me doing the work. In fact, I have installed now two of them.

Bruce Hunt
Bruce, your explanation made sense, since I've seen the situation getting slightly worse over the last two winters. Recently, even the trunk won't open which used to work fine in any conditions.

As for how well the locks open, they open strong and quickly when I use the key, or once the unlock signal is received and/or responded to. It's just annoying that it takes the right conditions for the module to respond to the signal.

In the meantime, I guess I've got an excuse to put in a remote starter!

Famwrkten