KEY STUCK IN IGNITION

Honda Accord

I drive a 1990 Honda Accord automatic with about 145,000 miles on it. When the weather gets real cold (below freezing) the key gets stuck in the ignition after I turn the car off. I can take it out once the car recognizes that it is in park. The cooler is gets, the longer it takes for the car to recognize it is in park, and the longer it takes to get the key out. What is wrong? And what can I do?
Czy4heels

I would say that the locking mechanism on the steering column needs to be lubricated. It appears to drag with the cold weather.

Bruce Hunt
That may help and I will try that, but why does it take so long for the car to realize that it is in park?

Czy4heels
I think it reconizes it is in park but the colder it gets the stickier the release gets. The signal to let the key go is there just as fast on a warm day as on a cold day.

Bruce Hunt