GEAR SHIFT NOT RELEASING

Honda Accord

Make: 1999 Honda Accord V6 coupe (automatic)
mileage: 250,000
size: v6

My car is in immaculate condition I brought this car new and this car has ONLY BEEN BACK TO THE same dealership that I brought it from 8 years ago. The car has NEVER missed a service in 8 years. I have never had any issues with the car until now. The engine is still shiny you could almost eat of it. For the past year or so the car has intermittently refused to come out of park. When I press the brake pedal and shifter button the car will not move out of park. Initially I would use the " shift release" under the shifter to release the gear shifter and be on my way. After that the car would be fine for months. I am a very pro-active guy and I had pointed this out to the dealer. I have a good relationship with them (especially since I have spent alot of money there). As of yesterday the car now will not come out of park unless I use the " shift release". I used to hear a little click when I would step on the brake pedal which indicated that the shifter has been released but now I do not. I am a little upset as I tried to be pro-active and inform the dealership but since there has been a overturn of mechanics, management and staff the service has fallen below par. Suffice it to say I am not sure what the issue is and would like some guidance as to what the problem could be. Could you assist? P.S. I do not have any issues through any of the gears once I release it and believe it or not the car still drives like new.
Nellis

There are two switches that fulfills the requirement to take it out of Park. First, is the switch on the brake pedal and secondly, the switch located in the shift console near the gear shifter. The brake pedal switch sends a signal to the neutral/park switch in the gear shifter console to release the gear shifter from PARK. Good Luck.

Blasterman808
Thanks for all the help found out that it was the shifter cable that was not going back in park 100%. It was sitting at around 80% and between the Park and reverse gears. Apparently there is a document on how to correct. This.

Nellis