BATTERY VS ALTERNATOR

2006 Honda Accord

2006 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 36,000 miles

My car won't start - went dead while sitting overnight in the garage. I jump started it and the engine ran well for about 3 minutes and then it died again. Jump started it a second time - ran well for a few minutes - then stopped again. A Honda dealership told me it was either a bad battery or alternator. I can replace the battery but not the alternator. Does it sound more like a battery issue or an alternator issue?
Thanks,
Ray
Ray Walsh

Hi Ray Walsh,

It looks more like a bad alternator than a battery. If the battery is bad, the alternator would provide the charge enough to keep the engine running.

However it could be a blown fuse or wire connection from the alternator to the battery.

You should test the charging voltage at the alternator mast and battery to confirm if it is charging problem. Voltage should be 13.5 to 14.5 volt with engine running.