WARNING LIGHT

2004 Honda Accord

2004 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 72000 miles

2 and 1/2 months ago I had my 70K mile schuduled maintence at the auto dealer. I noticed afterward that a warning light, " Maintence Required" would blink 3 or 4 times then disappear. I called the dealer and explained what the warning light was, and he said not to worry, that is comes on every time I start the car. Now that warning light comes on and stays on, the entire time I'm driving.
Do I need to get my car looked at again? I'm 1 and 1/2 hours away from the dealer, and am really worried about driving my car just locally, let alone on the highway. I just don't want to cause more damage to the car.
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.
Cassharrington

Hi cassharrington,

There is nothing to worry about.

After the maintenance service, the dealer should have done the resetting for you.

Here is an explanation of the indicator light and how to go about resetting it.

MAINTENANCE REQUIRED REMINDER LIGHT/ENGINE OIL LIFE INDICATOR RESET - PROCEDURE 3

1. For the first 8000 miles after maintenance required indicator is reset, the MAINT REQ'D indicator light illuminates when the ignition is turned on, then will go out after 2 seconds. When mileage is 8000-10,000 miles, the MAINT REQ'D reminder light will illuminate for 2 seconds, then blink for 10 seconds, and then go out. When mileage exceeds 10,000 miles, MAINT REQ'D indicator light illuminates and stays on while ignition switch is in ON (II)
position.

2. To reset the MAINT REQ'D indicator light, turn ignition switch to OFF position. Press and hold the SELECT/RESET button. While still holding button, turn ignition switch to ON position, with engine off. Hold SELECT/RESET button for about 10 seconds until indicator resets.

3. If MAINT REQ'D reminder light does not reset, ensure headlights, parking lights, or both are turned off when resetting reminder light. The MAINT REQ'D indicator cannot be reset if any of these lights are on. If vehicle is equipped with daytime running lights and lights come on when ignition switch is turned to ON (II) position, daytime running lights must be
disabled before indicator light can be reset.

Please know how very much I appreciate the answer you provided. You have put my mind at ease and I sincerely gratitude for helping me with this problem. Thank you again.
Cass Harrington

Cassharrington
You're welcome.

Have a nice day.