CANNOT DECOUPLE THE O2 SENSOR COUPLING

2003 Honda Accord

2003 Honda Accord 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 53000 miles

Hi,
I have 2003 Honda Accord V6. Recently my Check Engine light came up. On checking the code, it showed P2251/P0134 which are for Bank1 Sensor 1. I was able to locate this sensor as on the backside of the engine.
I tried to open it, but I ran into problem when the sensor cable which is plugged with a male/female coupling did not come out. There is verly little space to move your hand and it seems to be very tight.
Please suggest any tool or how I can take this out?
I even tried to pull the coupling for the front sensor 2, but that too was very tight and could not open.

Quick response is appreciated.

Himanshu
Hemankaps

Hi Himanshu,

Thank you for the donation.

There is no special tools for unplugging the terminal. The wireharness side has a locking tab that has to be pressed to release the lock before you can pull the connector off. Sometime sand or dirt gets between the tab rendering it impossible to release the lock.

I would use compressed air to blow out any foreign material before pressing the tab.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_AFSensor03Accord_1.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

I will try to put some lubricant. And just to confirm, the Bank 1 Sensor 1 is located on the back side of the engine, right?

Hemankaps
Yes, Bank 1 is rear sensor.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_O2Sensor03Accord_1.jpg

Hi Thanks for your help.
I was able to open the sensor.
But can I clean it and try if the sensor works fine and how to clean it?
Or the only option is to replace it?
Please let me know as soon as you can, as I have my car opened and waiting for it to be fixed.

Himanshu

Hemankaps
Hi,

Usually when O2 sensors shows a malfunction, cleaning seldom works.

Before replacement, diagnosis should be carried to eliminate the possibilities of wiring or other factors causing the problem.