100000 MILES MAINTENANCE

2003 Honda Accord

2003 Honda Accord 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 107000 miles

The car reached 107,000 miles and I am sure this needs some extra maintenance. When it was at 60,000, I took it to the dealer and he asked me to change the transmission fluid. He charged a hefty sum. I think the same dealer changing the timing belt much earlier than 60k miles (but I am now not 100% sure). I do not want to go to the dealer, if I can find a good meachanic and it you think it is ok. What are the items that I should ask the mechanic to change at 100k miles? How do I know if he wants me to change something else (transmission oil change seems to be everyone's favorite) how can I tell he is saying the truth? I do not want to unnecessarily do things that are not required, but do want to change all things that I have to change to keep the car going without any problems. Also two problems I notice are, my car always remains hot, even in NY cold winter, I have to run the heat at max 50 degrees - beyond that, it is really hot. My feet always get very very hot in this car even at 50 degrees. The second problem is when I start the car in the morning or in the evening after work, in winter, it makes a terribly screeching noice which remains till I drive the car more than 5 miles. (Does not happen in summer). Finally, should I go to the dealer to ensure the parts are original or can I use a local (recommended) mechanic?
Adamxx

The following items are to be inspected: Brake hoses and lines
front axles and CV joint boots
Exhaust system
Fluids and lubericant levels
Front Brakes
Fuel lines and connections
Lights and controls
Parking Brake

INSPECT AND ADJUST IF NECESSARY

Rear Brakes / system
Steering gear / Rack and Pinion
Steering Rack boots
Suspension
Tie Rod ends
Underbody inspection
LUBERICATE door hinges and locks
REPLACE motor oil and filter
Rotate tires

These are the items listed under the 100K service. As far as the transmission, the fluid should be a pinkish red color. If it is brownish or yellowish in color or has a burnt smell to it, then service it. You are welcome to contact me via this thread with questions.

Let me know, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

You did not mention that I have to change the timing belt. Everyone is asking me to change it. Is it unnecessary?

I was hoping you would answer my previous other questions too, which are: Also two problems I notice are, my car always remains hot, even in NY cold winter, I have to run the heat at max 50 degrees - beyond that, it is really hot. My feet always get very very hot in this car even at 50 degrees. The second problem is when I start the car in the morning or in the evening after work, in winter, it makes a terribly screeching noice which remains till I drive the car more than 5 miles. (Does not happen in summer). Finally, should I go to the dealer to ensure the parts are original or can I use a local (recommended) mechanic?

Adamxx
According to the manual I reviewed, the timing belt should be good. My professional opinion is that this is a good time to change it.

As far as the heat, does the temp gauge go into the hot area?

The noise you hear is most likely a loose alt belt. In the winter, the battery loses more of a charge in the cold weather. AS a result, there is more of a load on it when you first start it. Check the belt to make sure it is tight.