LOOSENING THE BELT

2002 Honda Accord

Steering problem
2002 Honda Accord 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80,000 miles

I would like to replace the power steering pump on a Honda Accord 2002 V6. My questions is where is the adjustment to loosen the serpentine belt, in order to swap out the steering pump? It is on a friends car, so technically I have not searched for an idler pulley screw of any sort yet. I just want to save time by knowing what to look for before I check under the hood. The part will be in next week.

Thank you, Jose Alvarez
Jose Alvarez

Hello –
There is about 7 different types of Honda Accords, what model is it, DX Sedan, EX Coupe? And the exact size of the engine please.
Find a car repair manual for your car question on this home page.
Make a small donation! (We will make sure your question will be answered promptly)

ImpalaSS
The Honda Accord is a EX Sedan, and the V6 is a 3.0 liter size. Thank you for your help.

Regards, Jose Alvarez

Jose Alvarez
Hello Jose

Here is the step by step.....specifically step 5 talks about the belt. Good Luck.

Replacement

Place a suitable container under the vehicle.
Drain the power steering fluid from the reservoir.
Remove the intake manifold cover.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1_11.jpg

Cover the crankshaft pulley with several shop towels to protect if from spilled power steering fluid. Disconnect the pump inlet hose (A) and pump outlet hose (B) from the pump (C), and plug them. Take care not to spill the fluid on the body or parts. Wine off any spilled fluid at once.
Remove the belt (D) by loosening the pump adjusting nut (E), then remove pump mounting bolts (F), nut (G) and pump. Do not turn the steering wheel with pump removed.
Connect the pump outlet hose and inlet hose. Tighten the pump fittings securely.
Loosely install the pump in the pump bracket with the mounting bolts and nut.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_2_7.jpg

Install the pump belt (A) on the pulley (B). Note these items during belt installation:
Make sure that the power steering belt is properly positioned on the pulleys.
Do not get the power steering fluid or grease on the belt or pulley faces. Clean off any fluid or grease before installation.
Adjust the pump belt adjustment
Fill the reservoir to the upper level line.

Make a small donation! (We will make sure your question will be answered promptly and it will help us be able to continue to help others - Thanks)

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS