EX 4-CLY - GAS ODOR IN CABIN

2002 Honda Accord

I drive a 2002 Honda Accord EX 4-cyl with 72K miles. There is a strong odor of gasoline inside the cabin and outside of the car after I start it in the cold. It has to be pretty cold (ie Chicago winter. So right about now). In the summer, or when its not FREEZING outside, I dont experience this odor. Any help?
Rysieks

You have saved up all your complaints for a massive repair job.

Ok, does the car crank right off when it is cold out? Does it take a little longer to start?

Bruce Hunt
Usually starts right up. It's garage kept, so no problems in the morning. Usually leaving work. Still no problems. I did notice that last night it cranked a few times more than normal. But other than that. Nothing much out of the ordinary. If it took a few cranks more than normall ALL the time.I would notice.

Rysieks
I checked on the technical bulletins on that vehicle and there is no common problem with this. What comes to mind is this. Cold contracts objects and heat expands them. So using that logic (or nonsense) Could you consider looking around under the hood the next cold spell you have or when you note the smell most. Don't start the car but activate the key to " on" and check around the fuel filter, the injector rail connections, vac lines off rail, injectors themselves and their seating, and finally around the throttle body to see if you can narrow the problem down with sight for leaks and nose for smell origination.

I am thinking that an o'ring, or connection is contracting when cold and allowing a small leak but seals right away with any temp change.

Bruce Hunt
Ok. So here is my update. I had the car looked at my a mechanic and they suggested replacing the injector seals. I said lets try it. It wasn't incredibly expensive. And that did the trick. No more gas leak under the hood, and no more gas ordor in the cabin. So just an FYI for those viewing this that have a similar problem.

Rysieks