ENGINE KNOCK

2002 Honda Accord

2002 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 88000 miles

approx 3 months ago my engine started to knock when in 3rd gear (automatic) If I speed up, the knocking stops. In past cars, I would start using higher octane gas, however, this is a Honda, I shouldn't have to do thatm should I? What else can it be? I had recent/regular oil change and mechanic said all is ok. I don't want the knocking. Can I use higher octane?
Vsignorelli

Hi vsignorelli,

You are right, Honda should not knock, the ECM will retard the knocking and if the sensor is faulty, it will show on the check engine light.

Using higher octane gas is not a problem.

At what rpm ( between 1600 to 2000? ) Does the knocking occurs and does it sound like a slight ticking noise? If yes, it should be the EGR solenoid ticking away.

Hello! The sound is clearly a knock, not a ping and no engine light has come on. I truly sounds like my old car did, that as the years past, the engine started to knock. Higher octane solved it in my old car, however, my expectations of my Honda are higher and I think this is something else, that is why I am worried about it.

I am unsure of the RPMs, I will need to check on that. I do know that it is in 3rd when the noice starts. One person said that I may have water in the tank from the ethonal. I did put in an additive, to try to remove it, Gas Dry or Dry Gas. It really didn't help

Vsignorelli
Hi vsignorelli,

If the knock appears only during acceleration, then it could be one of the con rod bearings having excessive clearance.