4CYL PISTON SLAP

2002 Honda Accord

I HAVE NOTICED ON COLD START A KNOCKING NOISE THAT LASTS FOR 5 MINUTES TILL WARM.

BEEN LIKE THIS FOR APPROX 2 YEARS, DOESN'T AFFECT PERFORMANCE AND ENGINE DOES NOT USE OIL. CAR NEVER ABUSED AND DRIVEN ONLY BY ME.

CAR HAS 96000KM(56000M). ALL MAINTENANCE UP TO DATE AND COMPLETE BY DEALER. DEALER SAYS IT IS A PISTON SLAP DUE SHAPE OF CYLINDER AND PISTON AND IS NORMAL UNLESS IT CONTINUES WHEN ENGINE WARM.I HAVE 4000KM LEFT ON FACTORY WARRANTY AND ADDITIONAL EXTENDED WARRANTY TO 160,000KM. IS THIS PISTON SLAP NORMAL? SHOULD I EXERCISE WARRANTY AND DEMAND REPAIR AND IF SO WHAT SPECIFIC REPAIR OR REPLACE ENGINE?
Atlanticpilot

If they are saying it is indeed piston slap yes demand to get it fixed they arent going to want to because it is neither cheap nor easy so be ready to argue. Piston slap occurs because an automobile manufacturer designs and/or manufactures a defective engine in which the clearance between the piston and cylinder bore is too great. Essentially, the piston moves sideways and slaps or knocks hard against the cylinder bore and causes damage to the engine pistons and cylinders, excessive smoke emissions, excessive oil consumption, carbon buildup on piston heads, decreased mileage, and a loud and obnoxious slapping or knocking noise, all of which diminishes vehicle resale value in the trade.

Some suggestions: Apparently some dealerships are saying it is 'normal' and not giving the consumer a work order, even when asked to do so. If this happens to you be sure to keep the following information for your records: 1. Date of repair attempt
2. Time of repair attempt
3. Service writer/managers name**
4. Name of person refusing work order**
5. Service tech's name refusing to do work**
6. Any other items/notes/observations to show proof you were there

** - Write down names in front of the person.

Good luck let us know : )

Syncrait
I'LL KEEP YOU UPDATED AS THE SERVICE TECHNICIAN ACTUALLY CONFIRMED ON MY WORK ORDER THAT THE NOISE WAS INDEED A PISTON SLAP. [I: c1166729a2]ALTHOUGH HE MADE NO RECOMMENDATIONS FOR RESOLUTION[/i: c1166729a2]. IT WAS THE SERVICE MANAGER WHO SAID IT WAS NORMAL.

AP

Atlanticpilot
Honda has agreed to replace pistons on this vehicle. In addition to reboring block, oversize pistons and rings, what else should be done or should I expect to be done? Would one expect they replace connecting rods, wrist pins and connecting rod bearings? Do the heads need to be redone? What can I expect as a final result from this repair. Will it, for example, weaken any other part of the engine. Etc? Fuel economy affects from oversized pistons?

AP

Atlanticpilot