TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP

2001 Honda Accord

2001 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 92000 miles

Hi,

I have a 2001 Honda accord with mileage as noted above. My manual says to replace the timing belt and water pump at about 7 years, or 110K in mileage - so I am there.

The Honda place is looking to charge, after tax and after coupon about $950.99, and my local guy $500 before tax. Can you pls advise me what the average price should be? What do you think im getting for the 950 versus the 550? My local shop is great and I do trust them. Curious what your thoughts are on the steep price differential as well. And, looking to confirm that I should get this done sooner, rather than later.

THank you,
Alison
Alicantono@yahoo. Com
Acantono

It is a norm to have a dealership charge more for their services. And to be truthful it does not always signify better results.

Now I would suggest you dig in deeper to find out exactly what they are going to do. For instance, it is also a good practice to replace the idler pulley that is located under the timing cover. Are they both replacing that? And of course, there is Honda genuine parts versus after market parts. Big difference in price though not always in performance.

For instance, on the timing belt, I trust a couple of the after market manufacturers. Even the water pump isn't too bad when you consider that it will be coming up for replacement again down the road as compared to those items that many never replace until broken or worn out such as struts.

I question the value but I would want to feel comfortable about who is under the hood. Good luck.

Bruce Hunt