RPM JERKING

2000 Honda Accord

2000 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 84000 miles

I just got a used honda Accord and the rpm just drops when take my foot of the gas and goes down close to 1, no effect on the cars drive. Is that normal or is this a trans prob? How would I know if there are any trans problems? My mechanic says that the trans has been changed because its painted. I have read that accords have Transmission problems. Is the trans replacement something I should worry about?
Mshadym

Hi mshadym,

The idling rpm should be 750. While driving, the rpm would drop with foot off the accelerator if speed of vehicle is not very high. At higher vehicle speed it would not drop that much. Not a problem you are facing.

When transmission gives problem, gear shifting would be affected. It might shift harshly, late while up or down shifting. The D4 light might flash. Vehicle might not move at times and slipping which can be noted by excessively high rpm while driving.

KHLow2008,

I just read your reply to mshadym's question and discover that the condition you highlighted about transmission matches what am presently going through with my 2002 honda.

There was a day that I noticed the D4 flashing and some seconds later it wouldn't move. I stopped the car checked the transmission oil which was OK, I then went back started the car and everything was OK again.

What do you think could be the problem? Does it mean that I may likely loose my transmission.

Another one is the transition between the 1st and the 2nd gear is always too harsh.

Please, your response

Yinkebo

Yinkebo
Hi yinkebo,

When the D4 light blinks while driving, an error has been detected by the PCM so you need a diagnostic scan to find out what is causing it.

Get the exact code and let me know so that appropriate action/suggestions can be made.

Hi KHLow2008,

When I had the experience, what I did was just to stop the car and check what was wrong and by the time I returned to the car to start, it was gone.

I then took the car to my auto mechanic, we changed the oil despite, serviced 3 sets of solenoid units yet the transmission remains harsh.

What do you suggest I do next?

Yinkebo

Yinkebo
Hi KHLow2008,

another recent one this; My diag. Tool showed code P0420-catalyst Efficiency below threshold (Bank 1).

Please, what does it mean? How can I locate the position of the catalyst.

What I did here is tightening/tensioning my power steering belt which was making noise and I erased the check engine, still waiting if it would come up again.

Yinkebo

Yinkebo
Hi Yinkebo,

DTC P0420: CATALYST SYSTEM EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD
NOTE: If some of the DTCs listed below are stored at the same time as DTC P0420, troubleshoot those DTCs first, then recheck for DTC P0420.

P0137, P0138: Secondary HO2S (Sensor 2)
P0141: Secondary HO2S (Sensor 2) Heater

1. Reset the ECM/PCM.
2. Start the engine. Hold the engine at 3,000 RPM with no load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.
3. Except F23A4 SULEV engine: Test-drive at 40-55 mph (64-88 km/h) for approx. 2 minutes. Then decelerate for at least 3 seconds with the throttle completely closed. Then reduce the vehicle speed to 35 mph (56 km/h), and try to hold it until the scan tool indicates FAIL or PASS as the TWC test result. F23A4 SULEV engine: Test-drive at 50-55 mph (80-88 km/h) for approx. 2 minutes. Then decelerate for at least 4 seconds with the throttle completely closed. Then accelerate to 55 mph (88 km/h), and try to hold it until the scan tool indicates FAIL or PASS as the TWC test result. Is the test result FAIL? YES -Check the three way catalytic converter (TWC). If necessary, replace the TWC. NO -Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time.

Hi KHLow2008,

Thank you for all the communication.

Which is the best way to reset the ECM/PCM.
Is it by removing the battery head?
Is there a better way to do it.

Thank you

Yinkebo

Yinkebo
Hi yinkebo,

The best and easiest way is to use a scanner to erase the codes.

Next is to remove the 7.5 A BACKUP or CLOCK/RADIO fuse underhood fuse box for more than 10 seconds.

I would recommend disconnectiing the battery terminals only as a last resort.

Hi KHLow2008,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Please, what does this catalyst mean?
What does it do on the car?

Thank you.

Yinkebo

Yinkebo
Hi yinkebo,

Catalytic converter is for emission control. It works by heating itself up to burn off any unburnt gas/fuel when the exhaust gas is passing through it.

Page 1 of 3