FLICKERING DASH LIGHTS

2000 Honda Accord

2000 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 111000 miles

Frequently the battery, doors open, and abs lights will flicker in the dash. The alternator has been changed twice in the past 5 months. I still have the 1st replacement alternator and had it and the currently installed alternator checked, along with the battery. All tested fine. Each time I have it looked at the mechanics say I should replace the alternator. However, none of the other dash lights, interior lights, or head lights are affected. The door locks would activate on their own along with the flickering dash lights prior to replacing the alternator the 1st time but that no longer happens. Also, it doesn't matter if the engine is idling at for the 3 dash lights to flicker. What would be the cause of this problem?
Bigpoppi

Hi bigpoppi,

NO ALTERNATOR OUTPUT?
LOOK FOR A PAINTED BRACKET TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): HSN 1001-04,  
Date of Issue:   October, 2001
Related Ref Number(s): HSN 1001-04
ARTICLE BEGINNING SERVICE INFORMATION
If you're troubleshooting an alternator output problem, before troubleshooting a dead battery or replacing the alternator, check if the alternator or the power steering pump mounting bracket has been repainted. A painted bracket can interfere with the alternator-to-battery ground path. To check if this is the case, ground the alternator with a jumper wire, and retest. If the alternator charges normally, the painted bracket is the problem. To restore the ground path, remove the paint from the bracket and housing contact areas.

HONDA: All CATEGORY: Honda Service News
APPLIES TO: All
Page 1 of 1 NO ALTERNATOR OUTPUT? LOOK FOR A PAINTED BRACKET -2000
Honda Acc. 9/19/2008