TRAN FLUID LEAKAGE

1999 Honda Accord

1999 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 89000 miles

Recently I replaced right side CV Axle on my car and withing 2 weeks I observed the transmission fluid(red color) is leaking form the axle-trann connecting point. The leak was severe when driving, soon I stopped driving the car and topped up the transmission fluids and replaced the oil seals of axle on both the sides of Tran, but the leak has not stopped yet and leading to less power transmission when driven.
Please help me out. I dont think there is any problem with Trann itself, as the Tranny was working fine till the axle replacement.
Tummas

Hi tummas,

Did you check if the seals were of the correct size?

Hi KHLow!

Thanks for your response.
I got the seals from Honda dealer by giving the VIN number. The technician initially placed one seal and verified the fitting by examining the leakage. He found that seal was not matched then he replaced it with another one. Now the seals are perfect match now. But I don't understand why there is a leakage still happening. : (

Tummas
Sorry for the delay in replying. I did not receive any notification about any replies to this post. Normally we would get back to you within 24 hours so next time if replies are delayed, please send a pm to me or the admin.

For leakages there are a few possible reasons.

1, Wrong size of oil seal.
2. Improper installation.
3. Scored axle shaft seal seats.

Did you try to get a visual inspection of the leak? Where is it coming from? In between seal and shaft?
Is there any damage to the housing of the trans where the seal is seated?

During the visual inspection, I found that the Transmission fluid is leaking when on drive gear from Tran-Axile joint, even after replacing it with new seal. My mechanic is wondering there could be some misallignment inside the Tranny that could be the reason for the leak. After this I took the car to Honda dealer and they simple wants to replace the Tranny and I don't think they worried to look into the details of leakage.

Tummas
I would recheck the seal installation again.

If it is a leak with the seals, I see no reason why the trans needs to be replaced.

Check if the inner CV joint has excessive side play.

Hi KH
I ran pillar to post to get my transmission fluid leak fix which lead to erratic or hard shift in Transmission. After all these issues, I ended up one service technician rebuilt my tranny a couple of days back. And the worst thing is the problem remains-Hard shift of gear, especially during the first1-2 miles of my day mostly mornings.
Engine makes a big hue of noise with NO movement of car. I am afraid if some comes behind and may hit me as the car is behaving erratically.
I really need your professional advice to fix my tranny prob-99 Honda Accord Lx 4Cyl. Auto.

I even tried twice calling Honda requesting to replace the tranny, but all in vein.

Please help me.

Tummas
You should refer back to the service technician who performed the job.

Get a scan done and check if there are any trouble codes.

Does the problem occurs only when starting from cold?
After engine has warmed up, do the problem still occur?

I have contacted the technician and made him to drive the car for2-3 miles and he agreed there is problem and assumes the root cause as an issue with Tran valve and Solenoids. There are currently NO CEL on my car. Previously it was 700 and 702.

The problem of hard shift is mostly during the mornings or whenever the car is taken out first time in a day.

Tummas

Tummas
P0700 is set when there are other trouble codes.

P0702 is not found in the list. Are you sure the code is correct?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_TransComp99Accord4cylFig06_1.jpg

Problem is most likely caused by the A/T clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve "A " and " B" Assy. Get them checked.