DASHBOARD WARNING LIGHTS

1999 Honda Accord

1999 Honda Accord EX, 67,000 miles.

After starting the car the following red warning lights at the dashboard will stay on:

Brake,
Battery
All car doors open

Intially all thes lights and other warning (almost all) were flasing for some time and then the above lights will stay on continuously. Intermitentally these will flash also, like there were some loose connectiosns.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,
Sat
Satbhardwaj

Is the check engine light on too. It seems too coincidental for the sensors on all of these to go out. This sounds very much like a loose connection at a wire connector, probably up in the hard to get spot at the back of the dash cluster.

Bruce Hunt
Hello Sat and Bruce,

This morning, the exact same behaviour started with my 1999 honda accord EX. No engine check light, just the warning lights. They would intermittently go on and off sort-of like a short. All the same lights that Sat had mentioned - doors, rear brake light, battery and hand brake.

It appeared to happen more frequently and immediately when I applied the footbrake.

Sat - did you find the issue?

Thanks for the help.

Hokiedale
Okay since there are no responses here, for historical purposes, I will let everyone know what I found out (and I will not even ask for a donation!).

After my lights started blinking, the speedometer and tachometer and radio etc. Cut out. The engine was running but the transmission (since, I guess it is electronic) quit working. I pulled over and cut the engine off. It would not start back. I hooked up jumper cables to another car and it started just fine, but I only made it 200 yards before the same behaviour happened.

Come to find out, my alternator had sheared the two bolts off that were holding it to the engine block, and the belt had detacted. I guess, while the blinking was going on with the warning lights, the alternator was going through the process of becoming detached (intermittently working). Once it let go altogether, the battery drained, and the electrical functions in the car ceased.

Long story-short. I was able to retract the sheared bolts and remount the alternator. Everything is working fine not.

Hokiedale
Hi all,

I've had the exactly same problem with my Honda Accort 1999 Auto VTEC SE. The mechanic traced the fault to faulty Voltage Regulator in the alternator. It was replaced and Bob's your uncle! : -) : -)

It cost me 65 Euros (in Montenegro) in total, but I've read somewhere that a Honda service in the UK would replace the alternator outright and would charge £200+ for that, so I'm happy.

Hope this helps.

Milan

Milanilic
I currently have the same problem. My car runs fine, however the lights turn on red on the dash from time to time. I had the alternator checked and it was fine. Everthing I have red points to the volatage regulator. Is there a way to check it? When the alternator was checked, the voltage regulator should have read that it was bad. I was told the voltage regulator is in the alternator. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? Thanks for the help!

Emgomez
I have 1998 Honda Accord EX with same issue - dash lights started blinking intermittently. The following day, car would not start. Battery tested fine. At this point I assumed alternator issue.

Took to mechanic for diagnosis and repair. He agreed, alternator issue. Just got car back for THIRD TIME with THIRD new alternator installed. Dash lights just blinked again.

I hooked up voltage regulator previously and noticed that when I decellerate to less than 1500 RPM alternator cuts off momentarily and battery begins to drain. Soon, alternator cuts back on.

I am clueless and confused, and mechanic seems to be as well. Could he possibly of put THREE bad alternators on?

Oh. And yes, voltage regulator is built on to alternator.

JD5566
Hi JD5566,

When testing voltage, did you test both at battery terminal and alternator main mast? Both same reading?

If reading is different, you could have a broken wire which has intermittent contact. Check for a bad main fuse contact.