HONDA ACCORD MECHANIC PROBLEM

1999 Honda Accord

1999 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 162000 miles

I have had all maintenance done on my accord for the last 6 years according to manufacturers instructions, and car has been in excellent running condition. About three weeks ago the engine just went dead at a stop sign. Started up again easily.

A week ago, all power went off while driving at about 60Km/h, and kicked back in within 10 seconds. I noticed it when the wipers stuck in the middle of the windshield and looked down to see that just about all lamps on the dashboard illuminate for about 10 secs and then I felt the power kick back in again.

I have had the car checked 4 days ago by a good mechanic who has changed timing belt water pump (which was due), and done other fluid changes as scheduled. When I described the symptoms he checked a few fuses, found a loose clamp on the air intake near the filter, tightened that and suggested that it was the problem all along.

Yesterday this happened again while on the freeway traveling at 100Km/h. So the symptom is entirely random and very infrequent.

Any ideas?
Odacunha

Tell the mechanic to test the fuel pressure and crankshaft position sensor.

The mechanic said he had checked the fuel pressure and crankshaft when he did the timing belt. He also did some research and discovered that there was a recall on the model in question for ignition switch. I checked with Honda and they do not have this as outstanding on my car. When the mechanic opened the ignition switch cylinder he found a lose screw attachment for the cylinder. When he fixed this he kept the car with him for 2 days and said that was probably the problem and that the problem did not happen for 2 days. I collected the car from him today. At a stop sign, the car just went dead but started up soon enough (as described before). When I stopped to do some shopping some 10 minutes later, it took 3 attempts to get the car started again.

Odacunha
Normally I would suspect the ign. Module, but since you said the wipers turned off, it would be something in the ign. Switch. Or connections to it.

Basically you are describing the symptoms of turning the key off.
I would replace the ign. Switch, if the problem persists, then you would have to go through the entire ign. System looking for a intermittent open wire, bad relay etc.

Mmprince4000
I wish you had given me the advice earlier. It was indeed the ignition switch, which eventually went up in smoke, and the engine died altogether a couple of days before your response! I changed that out and everything's fine now.

Odacunha
Sorry for the delayed response. All of us that answer questions try to get them answered as fast as we can. There are literally thousands of questions ask daily.

Again I apologize for the delay and glad to hear the Honda is running again.

Mmprince4000
I did not mean to criticize the delayed response, just pointing out my misfortune at not having your solution earlier. But hopefully someone else will benefit from this bit of information.

Odacunha