TIMING BELT

1998 Honda Accord

1998 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

timing belt broke. Now forsure camshaft and crankshaft is not at TDC/aligned. What step do I need to take in order to have camshaft and crankshaft at TDC together before installing the belt. How do I get the cam and crank to aligned just if the belt was never broken.
Jayrolx3

Hi jayrolx3,

If the timing belt did not break but the belt has skipped a few tooth, that could mean bad news. The valves would most probably be damaged.

Before turning anything, get the valve cover, crankpulley and timing belt cover off first.

To turn and align crankshaft, being a manual trans, it is rather easy. Jack up the driver side front wheel, engage 4th gear and turning the front wheel would allow you the turn the crankshaft.

Turn the crankshaft at least 30 degrees away from TDC before attempting to turn the camshaft, which can be done by turning the cam sprocket. Removing the spark plugs would make turning easier.

Before proceeding with anything else, check the valve clearances. If any clearances are excessive, the valve is bent.

After aligning the cam shaft, turn crankshaft to TDC and disengage the gear. This is to prevent accidental turning of the crankshaft.