THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR

1998 Honda Accord

1998 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 123000 miles

i recently researched the symtoms of a faulty tps. and that seems like the problems im having. hesitation, poor gas mileagle, weird idle.. the only thing is.. my check engine light never came on.. could this be the problem still?? i called honda and they said id have to buy the whole throttle body. i found a website that sells them separately. should i buy it separately and try to see if this works rather than buy the whole assembly??

here is the website that sells the tps.

http://www.iapdirect.com/product.php?productid=42003&cat=0&page=1&gclid=CKejp8nFxZQCFQWxsgodxyUGUQ

thanks so much.
Ktangelbaby8

Hi ktangelbaby8,

It is not necessary to replace the whole throttle body if the TPS is faulty.

You can test the TPS by the voltages present at fully closed and open throttle. 0.5 v and 4.5 v respectively.

If you replace it, you need to calibrate it to the above specs.

I would suggest putting the car on a diagnostic to see if all the components are working well. A faulty O2 sensor would also cause the problem that you described and it sometimes do not show on the CEL.