OIL UNDER TRANNY?!

1998 Honda Accord

1998 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

Hi, I just got my rear main seal done along with the axle seals sometime in mid December of 08. I had the transmission rebuilt at a repair shop (in another state before I moved) 6 months prior to this and I thought they replaced the rear main seal since they were in that area. Anyway, after we replaced the rear main seal and replaced the axle seal, there was a drip of oil just hanging in the back of the tranny, but the belly of the tranny was dry. And it would not drip to the floor. Now there is another oil drip in the center belly of the tranny 2 months later (today) but they both don't make it to the floor. Nothing too serious but still...I paid almost 400 to get this fixed!!! And my mechanic is stumped to why there is oil leaking. Before I make assumptions and accuse him of not doing it right and tarnishing our friendship. I want to ask someone else for their opinion as to why I am leaking oil there in the first place?! He thinks there are some other seal(s)/lines that run across the car by the tranny? He also thinks the shop that rebuilt it should have replaced them if there is such thing. But I cant think of any other seals besides the axle seals? I just want to get this fixed once and for all. By the way we also did the oil pan gasket (used Honda bond) and replaced the distributor since the old one was leaking. And I know its not transmission fluid because the fluid is brown not red and the tranny level is the same as it was since last December. Please help me before I take it to the shop again this week.
Here is a picture. I couldn't get your "Add a Picture" option to work.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/324/dsc00035s.jpg

Hungryheepo

You obviously take very good care of this car if you notice a leak that small. I respect you for this. We get posts all the time from people who haven't opened the hood for 50K miles, and can't understand why it stalled or the engine blew up.
Anyway, the only way you are going to find the leak is to clean the engine " spotless". And after every time you drive it check it over and try to catch the drip before it gets to the pan. This could be difficult because of the wind factor.
Also, if I had a '98 Honda Accord with 155K on it that had an oil leak that didn't drip to the floor, I wouldn't complain too terribly loud. These cars are notorious for severe oil leaks even at 100K. Hope this helps.

James W.
Just to be on the safe side. Is this something I'm just going to have to live with? Or something I should worry about? I take trips back and forth about 1-3 times every other month from Nevada and California and I want to make sure its something that could result into something bigger later on. There has not been a significant amount of oil loss since my last oil change 200 miles ago. And is there such thing as OTHER SEALS/LINES in that area that should have been replaced while the tranny was rebuilt? When I had to clean out my vtech solenoid 3 weeks ago, I made sure to put some Honda bond since the gasket that was there was worn out. And I replaced the vtech filter. Some oil spilled off while taking off the vtech solenoid. But I mean it should have burned off by now? Again your help is greatly appreciated.

Hungryheepo
With the oil leakage you described, I personally not be too concerned. Obviously, you want to keep an eye on it, but the chances of it getting worse in the near future are, poor to none. Even with a " spotlessly clean" engine, a leak that small could be very difficult to find under all the hoses, belts and other items attached to a present day engine.
On the subject of " oil loss", I'm not sure what you consider a significant amount. With 150K on the engine a little oil consumption is just due to normal wear. This holds true for any engine reguardless of how well they are taken care of. Honda makes a good little motor. With reasonable care, they go a long way. Their biggest enemys are, lack of engine oil caused by " major" oil leaks and overheating. Other than that, they just keep on pumping. You sound concientious enough that I don't think either of the above will ever happen. Drive safe.

James W.