HIGH FUEL CONSUMPTION. INDICATIONS ON DAS

1998 Honda Accord

1998 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 144000 miles

Hello.

I drive a 1998 V6 3.0 litres VTEC Hnda accord car.

My questions are
1)The fuel consumption is rather high, ( 1 litre of petrol to 4 kilometres). Is this normal? If not, what is the cause and remedy?

2) The " CHECK" and " MAINTENANCE REQUIRED" indicators are constantly on on the dash board, despite maintenace, due at ttime the " check" flashes on and off. What are the causes and remedy to these?
Chibuzor

Chibuzor,

I had a similar high fuel consumption (4.5km/ltr) on my 1998 4cyl Accord and after much effort to correct the problem in the fuel injection/ignition system, I discovered the problem was a torn inlet maniflold gasket. Up to now I cannot explain the science of it, but once the gasket was found torn and duely replaced, the problem ceased. I will therefore urge you to check the air inlet manifold sytem carefully for possible tears and leaks.

If you fiind this to be the problem, pls let me know.

Regards,
Iorkamave

Iorkamave
Thanks so much for this answer, because my honda has been killing my wallet. I have done everything form replacing the nozzles to changing the basketlike exhaust thingy just beneath the driver's seat. I hope I can effectively pass on this information to my mechanic.

Mekaworldus