RADIATOR FAN DOESN'T WORK UNLESS AIR COND

1997 Honda Accord

1997 Honda Accord

Hey Guys,
The garage can't seem to figure this one out so any advise would be amazing since I got to travel to Boston this weekend.

Here is a little back ground (please keep in mind that I'm a rookie so bare with me)

I have a 1997 Honda Accord with Air conditioning. It has an air conditioning fan and a Radiator fan.

My radiator fan does not come on when my car reaches a very hot temperature. It will only turn on (work) if I turn on the Car's Air Conditioning and then both fans will work.

If my car is hot and I turn off the car and remove my keys, the Radiator fan will come on (work) until it is cool but as soon as I start the car the fan does not work.

If anyone has an idea, I left my car at the garage in hope that I can suggest a few things as they are doing some research as well and need to give them some possible solutions by Wednesday.

I know that they should figure this out but I don't have time to bring it anywhere else and judging by some feedbacks on this site some foks know 110% more that these mechanics.

If you know the solution and can provide some tips I swear I will take my car to your place or who ever you recommend but this time I'm stuck with these folks and dont' feel like spending $$$ to rent a car since I'm already in the whole.

THANK YOU, honestly thank you.
Chick652

Hi chick652,

Did you try replacing the fan switch or check its wiring?

There are 2 fan switches, one is located either on the head or upper hose joint to engine. This fan switch has a higher rating and will operate when the ignition is off. No thing wrong here.

The fan switch that you need to check is the piece located on the thermostat housing. Remove fan switch coupler and bridge the terminal, turn ignition switch on, if the fans works, replace the fan switch, make sure rating is correct. If not, check the wiring for an open circuit.