P0170 AND P0171 AND ENGINE STALL

1997 Honda Accord

1997 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 298000 miles

Someone please help me.
I have 97 accord V6 2.7L. I have 298K miles on it. First RPM was jumping when I am driving so I changed the ignition coil, that fixed that but after that I noticed when I put my car to warm up for min or two the RPM going up and down like I am giving gas but I am not even in the car it doing it by itself and this was winter time, now its summer looks like problem is fixed by itself. Now it is summer it does not do that now I have new problem I just started getting this code P0170 and P0171. So I changed the fuel filter, sparkplugs, wire. Tune-up. Still same code also same problem after tune-up and filter replace now car is doing crazy thing car runs ok for while but 20miles or so and then if I turn my car off and start my car back up it stall and most of the time it would not start it take me 20-50times (I blowup my starter doing that now I have new starter and I don't want to blow that one up) before I can get back up running and when I do getting running it will stall and wants to shutdown but I keep pressing gas and it will slowly very slowly start running at same time I would hear some kind of knocking noise from under the car where convertor is( I left the driver side door open I heard it that's how I know this noise) after that noise is gone car runs like nothing happened. I am thinking it might me MAP sensor or O2 but it might be something else. I need help please help me.
Girlbali

Hi girlbali,

I would recommend repairing/replacing the main relay to solve the difficult starting problem.

As to the hunting idling rpm, check for clogged IAC air passages and coolant hoses. Clean the throttle body as well.

If P0170 and P0171 still comes back after doing above, you need to check/replace the O2 sensor and catalytic converter.

Where is IAC loacted in 97 accord V6 is it possible to get picture here or on email?
I was reading about how to cleaning throttle body but then saw this

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

(Tip 1: Don't Do It! Don't spray that Carburetor Cleaner or Ether in your Honda throttle body. . .

For all fuel-injected Hondas. . .

If you have a fuel-injected Honda, don't do it - - - never spray Carburetor Cleaner or Ether into the throttle body. The fumes will make their way to the MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) Sensor and will cause it to burn out.)
now i don't know what should i do clean it or not?
I do know that i have MAP sensor NOT MAF so i don't think i can clean map if i can what should i use to clean that?
I was reading one place said that change you presure regulator it might have water or moisture in it that could cause P0170/P0171 code. Is there anything i can add in gas to remove moisture or water from presure regulator?
thank you for the reply ..
OH ya I did change the mainrelay and so far i don't have any problem starting thank you. Still need to fix this two code and why sometime car don't want pickup if someone can help me please.

Girlbali
Hi girlbali,

The IAC is attached to the throttle body.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_Accord97Component_1.jpg

Don't worry aboout the BS some people out to make a quick buck would throw at you to make you worry unecessarily. With the engine running, how can the carb cleaner get to the MAP when there is vacumn pulling against the diaphragm?

MAP should NEVER be cleaned.

Moisture would be purged back to the fuel tank via the pressure regulator so you don't worry about that. Instead you need to flush the fuel tank and replace the fuel filter if water is present.

Thanks alot khlow
I will clean the throttle body and IAC then let you know. I will also change the primary O2 sensor since I have not done this for 195K. Car has 298K I did change O2 @103K delear did that. How often do this O2needs to be replaced any idea?

Girlbali
Hi girlbali,

There is no fixed lifespan for the O2 sensor. If it gives an problem, then it should be changed.

Hello Khlow2008
I cleaned TB and that still give me P0171 and pending 170 so I changed the Primary O2. It been four days still no code so hopefully that will fix that problem. I still have problem sometime car does not pickup at all and when it start pickup I hear knocking noise from under where cat is. Hopefully I won't have to change my cat.

Girlbali
Hi girlbali,

Don't sound good, the catalytic converter needs some attention. You need to remove it to test if it is clogged.
Any clogging will cause loss of power and noise.

But it only when I am trying to pickup never a problem on highway. If it is cat is it good idea to put aftermarket or should I put used if I can get my hand on used one.

Girlbali
Edit: only happens sometime

Girlbali
Hi girlbali,

A used one might not last as catalytic converters do have a shelf life.