ENGINE STALL

1997 Honda Accord

1997 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 92000 miles

The car stalls while I'm driving or stopping short. There is power, radio is still heard. It feels like there is no gas in the car even though there is. I have to start the car again and it then drives. There is no check engine light. Could it be the fuel pump/relay?
Dave6727

Hi dave6727,

Does it stall only when the accelerator pedal is released?

Was it easy to restart?

Hello and thanx for your question. It has stalled while parked, while pressing hard on the brakes, and during drive.
I put the car into neutral or park and it starts up as regular.

Dave6727
Hi dave6727,

The idling system is not functioning properly so I would suggest giving the throttle body, IAC and idle adjust screw a good cleanup with carb cleaner and readjust the idling speed.

Hello, and thanx for yur suggestions. Just want to let you know that I cleaned the IAC with carb cleaner and replaced my fuel pump. Today the car stalled while I was stopped at a traffic light. Any suggestions? Thanx

Dave6727
Hi dave6727,

After warming up, what is the idling speed?

Is the idling smooth when cold, during warming up and after warmed up?

If idling speed is too low, you can adjust it by turning the idle adjust screw above the throttle body to increase it. You might need to remove this screw to clean it if it does not response much to adjustment.

The idlin speed is below 1000 rpm.
Yes the idling is smooth; it does not shake the car or sound choppy. When I first start the car the speed goes past 2000 rpm but imidaitely levels out between 1000 and 2000. When it warms up it is at 1000.
Whats the correct idling speed?
Are u sure it has nothing to do with fuel, such as an injector?
Thanx again

Dave6727
Hi Dave,

The idling speed should be about 750 rpm.

Injectors would normally cause misfiring and not engine stalling as it is unlikely to have all four injectors failing at the same time.

The PGM-FI main relay is more likely to cause the problem.

I checked the rpm this morning, its is 750. Today the car had trouble starting, but after a couple of turnof the ignition key it started. While driving it stalled again.
Do u thinkg the pgm-fi is recieving power?
Thanx again 4 your help

Dave6727
Hi Dave,

Yes, what you are describing should be caused by the PGM-FI main relay. It controls the fuel pump and is known to intermittently fail.

If you are into DIY, remove the relay and resolder the circuit board. You would notice some bad joints.

Hey thanx again 4 your help. One last question as I prepare to buy and install the parts.
Could it be the ignitor coil in the distributor?

Dave6727
Page 1 of 2