ENGINE SHUTS OFF AFTER I MAKE A LEFT TURN

1997 Honda Accord

1997 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive

I was driving in the rain and had to maneuver through flooded intersections with about 2-3 feet of standing water. When I made a left turn into a parking lot, my engine shuts off. I attempt to re-start the engine but but it doesn't turn, the oil warning turns on, engine light turns on, but the temperature guage remains cool and I sense a draining of the battery. The next morining, I have my car towed to a mechanic and he diagnoses the problem. He charges up the drained battery and replaces the starter. He checks if I have water in radiator and checks level of oil. Both are OK. An attempt to start the car is made and the car doesn't start. He mentions to me that engine freezed up. Do you have insight of what the problem may be?
Gc

Hi gc,

Situation seems grim. Water has been sucked into the cylinders and being uncompressible, it has caused 1 or more connecting rods to bend seizing the engine.

Remove the spark plugs and see if you can turn the engine crankshaft clockwise with the pulley nut. If it turns, keep turning slowly and see if after a certain amount of turning, restriction is felt. If yes, it confirms the problem of the bent con rods.