BLINKING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

1996 Honda Accord

1996 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

The CEL light came on (blinking) so I had the code read and it was multiple misfires, the guy recommended that I run Fuel Injector Cleaner through it. Needless to say that didn't fix the problem. The thing about the blinking is that it only happens when the car is under 70 (or 3,000 rpm) It blinks until I let up off the gas, then it stops and is fine for another few minutes. While the light is blinking there is no noticeable difference in performance. Any ideas?

Something else that play into this is that a month before this problem my light came on for the VGR valve.
Elayer

The blinking means you could be destroying the catalytic converter by driving it! Things to check are Plugs, Wires, coils, vacuum leakes, and fuel pressure!

Merlin2021
I replaced the plugs and there was no difference. Wires don't make sense for my situation, how it doesn't blink above 3,000 rpms (at least I don't think it does) How do I check Vacuum and fuel pressure?

Elayer
Get a can of spray gumout, spray the vac lines and maniflod area, when the idle changes, youve found the leak! You want the engine running and spray on the outside but do direct the stream onto the hoses, if it is a vacuum leak, the engine idle will change speed, then you have detected a leak, repair the vacuum leak and see how it runs!
Start with the basics, and work your way up, Last tune up was? Wires plugs ALL filters? If all that is ok, check for a stuck EGR, then test fuel pump pressure, If it won't restart, determine what's missing, the engine needs three things to run, Spark at all plugs, gas to all cylinders, and compression in all cylinders, tho an engine may run lacking one in one cylinder, it won't run very well!
http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_fuel_injection_pressure.htm
Go here and checkout our video.
http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_engine_ignition_system.htm
and this one! Wires are ALWAYS a concern for misfires!

Merlin2021
Thats the thing it doesn't happen at idle. It's random and happens most in the 2500 rpm range. It's not a constant problem, only while driving has it started to blink, then goes away when I let up off or press harder on the accelerator.

Elayer
If you have a scanner, monitor the long term fuel trim, watch for high or low plus or minus numbers, you want to see 1.2 or so, this can be related to O2 sensors. The other thing, are you using the recommended octane gas?

Merlin2021
I'm using regular fuel. But I think I have an idea as to what it is, you mentioned that the EGR valve could be causing the problem which would make the most sense, becuase the CEL came on right before this for EGR flow, then it must have escalated. So replace EGR valve?

Elayer
Hi Elayer,

You can try cleaning the EGR by clearing the carbon deposits.

Whether you replace or clean the EGR, you must clear the passage under the the EGR to exhaust manifold of any carbon deposits.

Yeah the day I posted that I cleaned the EGR ports that were on top of the intake manifold, three out of the four were completely plugged with carbon. I reset the CEL and it hasn't come back on so I'm pretty sure it's fixed, thanks for the help!

Elayer