BRAKES KEEP LOCKING UP

1995 Honda Accord

Brakes problem
1995 Honda Accord 4 cyl Automatic 150000 miles

My front brakes keep locking up on my 95 honda Accord LX. I have replaced the brake pads, brake hoses, and the driver side brake caliper(remanufactured part) and they still are locking up on me. It will start smoking and smells really bad. People told us that the brake hoses inside lining will colapse and maki it difficult to suck in the brake fluid, so we pelaced both driver and passenger side brake hoses. I am not sure what else it could be. The back breaks are not locking up so I dont think its the master cylinder but I could be wrong. Please help!
LanceBrittny

Hi LanceBrittny,

Thank you for the donation.

Does both front brakes locks?

Does it happen only after some driving?

When it happens, does releasing the bleeder bolt at brake caliper releases the brakes?

Is this vehicle equipped with ABS?

Yes, both front breaks lock up, sometimes the right, sometimes the left. Yes, it usually happens after driving a few miles. Yes, I have to loosen up the bleeder bolt in order to continue driving. I'm pretty sure it is equipped with ABS.

LanceBrittny
If you have an orange indicator light on the dash with the words ABS, then it is equipped. If that is the case, most probably the ABS master pump is causing the problem.

If without ABS, the Proportioning Control Valve could be the cause.

Either system, check the brake pedal to pushrod clearance. Insufficient clearance could cause the brakes to lock. If you had replaced or adjused the brake switch, recheck the switch adjustment.

Yea it has no ABS. I'm seeing a lot about the prop valve and the pushrod adjustment. Are these two things different? Where can I find them on my car, and do they need to be adjusted a certain way? Sorry to be a pian. I will donate more when I find the solution. Thank You.

LanceBrittny
Without ABS means different problem source.

Proportion Control Valve is located on firewall behind the engine and no adjustment is possible. It seldom causes such problems and I would suggest checking the pedal free travel first.

Here are procedures for pedal height and free travel adjustment.

BRAKE PEDAL HEIGHT & FREE PLAY
Pedal Height
1. Disconnect brake switch connector. Loosen brakelight switch lock nut and back off switch until it no longer touches brake pedal. Remove floor mat and measure pedal height from left side center of pedal pad.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_BrakePedalHeight95Accord_1.jpg

2. Loosen brake pedal push rod lock nut, and screw push rod in or out until correct pedal height is obtained and tighten lock nut.

BRAKE PEDAL HEIGHT SPECIFICATIONS
Auto. Trans. = 7.60 (193) In. (mm)
Man. Trans. = 7.56 (192) In. (mm)

Free Play
With engine off, check brake pedal free play by pushing pedal by hand. Free play should be 1/16- 13/64" (1-5 mm). If pedal free play is out of specification, adjust brake switch.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_BrakePedalFreePlay95Accordfig02_1.jpg

Thank you for the offer of additional donations and if there is anyhing else that youneed to know, just reply to post and I will get back to you when I am online.