BELTS

1995 Honda Accord

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1995 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 91,000 miles

I had a knocking noise coming from the wheel on the side of the power steering pump. I drove about 20 more miles, noticed a smell like burning rubber, and the pulley just snapped off. The power steering went out and I drove for about 10 more miles. I noticed the same smell and knocking noise then coming from a lower pulley on the A/C condensor. I then parked it and haven't drove it. I know I need a new power steering pump. Is the A/C condensor going out and need replaced? Is this something I can do in the garage at home? Does it have anything to do with other componets like the timing belt? I am not a mechanic, only have basic knowledge.
John Gilbert

I noticed the same smell and knocking noise then coming from a lower pulley on the A/C condensor.

Do you mean the compressor if so bring it in dealing with AC involves a lot of stuffs and special type equipment-

Hi John Gilbert,

Power steering pump pulley dropped off? Or is it just the belt was displaced?

The knocking noise lower down is from the crankshaft pulley. The outer ring of the pulley sits on a damper and the damper has detached itself from the main pulley. The A/C should be ok.

Get the crankshaft pulley replaced but you need a special wrench or a very high torque impact wrench, the pulley is torqued at 150 ft/lbs.

Timing belt should not be affected, unless the timing belt cover is badly damaged which might leave some debris in the path of the belt and cause the teeth to skip.